Pottery Barn Halloween Costumes Straight from Pinterest?

September 25, 2012

Hi guys! I’ve been absent from the blog while I’m working on some other goals (along with the ever-slow-going progress on the house), so I’m just going to post whenever and pretend like I’ve never been away. OK?

Cool.

So, what’s on my mind tonight, you ask?

This:

That’s one of the new costumes from this year’s Pottery Barn Halloween collection.

Reminds me a little bit of this oft-pinned version made by an Etsy seller, no?

Or maybe of this trio, commonly dubbed on Pinterest as “World’s Best Parents” (or at least by Jenny Lawson).

And who could forget this lobster in a pot costume that was all over Pinterest last year?

Well, here’s this year’s family version from Pottery Barn Kids:

Pretty interesting right? I can just picture all the product people at Pottery Barn scouring Pinterest right now for the latest trends in Halloween costumes to develop for next year. What’s that popular quote about how the work you do when you procrastinate is the work you should be doing for the rest of your life?

Well, how do I get that job?

As far as legal/ethical issues are concerned, well, I’m not quite sure. Pottery Barn probably had to pay a pretty penny for the rights to use the Where the Wild Things Are costumes, and can you really “own” the idea of a baby dressed up like a lobster in a pot? Declaring oneself pre-law freshman year in order to get into a preferred dorm does not a lawyer make, unfortunately. What do you and your non-expert opinions think about it?

I’m erring on the side of genius.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Lauren September 26, 2012 at 6:59 am

Why is this triggering some major shelter mag thievery from awhile back? MSL or maybe it was Pottery Barn. Not sure. Interesting conversation, though, isn’t it. Very chicken/egg. And much as I hate making Halloween costumes (always falls to Neel anyway), I’m pulling for Etsy on this one!

Heather September 26, 2012 at 9:40 am

I know there was a big firestorm about Urban Outfitters copying some jewelry designers on Etsy, but I can’t recall a shelter mag one (although I’m sure there have been!). I thought it was interesting that the Etsy seller I linked to doesn’t seem to be selling those costumes this year – they sure were cute! I’d be tempted to get one, even the Pottery Barn version, if it wasn’t $79. Plus, I’m sure Calvin will like being a fire fighter :)

Nina October 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

The first lobster in the pot is adorable but it’s not the most practical costume. Would you want to lug your child around in a pot to go trick or treating? ;)

I remember the Urban Outfitters incident with the jewelry that was shaped like popular states. It’s never good when a major retailer is ripping off a small designer…Sites like Pinterest or having the whole world at your fingertips via the internet have definitely made “stealing” other peoples ideas easier or getting inspired by them. What is an original idea nowadays anyways? How can I make sure nobody has ever thought about it before? Sometimes I feel like people who get inspired by the same things might come up with similar ideas anyways. Does that make any sense?

Heather October 4, 2012 at 9:10 am

Ha, I never thought of that!

Yes, I know, it is pretty much impossible to have an original idea these days.

Cary October 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I noticed PBK copied the popular sushi costumes all over Pinterest, too.

Heather October 4, 2012 at 9:10 am

I thought that maybe I’d seen that one on Pinterest too!

jonniesack October 5, 2012 at 11:04 am

I totally think it’s sketchy. I know designers feed off one another and everything they see, but I constantly see things from etsy being used almost verbatim.

The worst Pottery Barn offense for me was when they attempted to remake the ‘Gee’s Bend’ quilts, which were so breathtakingly and heartbreakingly beautiful, I was guffawed they’d have the audacity to “recreate” them, since the corporate world is so separate from the people of Gee’s Bend who lovingly handsew ever stitch from old rags and used up clothing.

Great blog btw, I’m in your class at BYW!

Heather October 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hey, thanks for visiting!

I hadn’t heard of the Gee’s Bend quilts, that’s interesting. It looks like they at least tried to give some attribution and worked with the Gee’s Bend Foundation on those, but I know what you mean, it’s just not the same. Etsy/Pinterest/Corporations – Such a complicated issue, for sure!