Excited About IKEA

October 10, 2012

Kansas City has been buzzing these past two weeks with the biggest news in, oh, EVER.

That’s right. IKEA is coming to town. And in my little bubble of a world, this easily beats out the other recent great things Kansas City has had going for it: The All-Star Game, Google Fiber, Trader Joe’s and The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.

I’ve never been to IKEA, and now, 11 years after first laying eyes on a catalog, I’m going to have the chance!

Well, actually I’m going to have the chance 13 years after first laying eyes on that Futura bible, since the store is not scheduled to open until the fall of 2014. But when it does, I will be there. And probably daily during lunch breaks, since the site is less than two miles from my office.

I pass it all the time, the sad 53,182-square-foot shopping center that was supposed to open in 2008, but never found even one permanent tenant:

Now, the site will be razed, save the stone retaining wall, to make way for this:

And I’m pretty sure this is the direct result of “The Secret” or something, because check out my Facebook status from August 15, a little over a month before the new store was announced:

I am floating the idea of renting a van and heading to IKEA some weekend next spring/summer. And taking requests for purchases at a 10% commission to help pay for my trip. This is either genius or a sign that I need to slow down on the Steve Jobs biography.

Well, I guess that won’t be necessary!

What would be the first IKEA item you’d snatch up if you were me?
And tell me, honestly, is the food any good?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Courtney October 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

I KNOW!! I am sooooo excited. Now we can all have matching Kivok couches and Ikovahk lamps!! But really, part of me thinks I’m this excited just because every blog I read tells tails of “Ikea shopping trips” and “cool IKEA hacks”. Only time will tell. However, you can assume I’ll be there opening day.

Heather October 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

Yay, shorter, mini road trip! Of course, watch me go there like twice and then start avoiding the crowds like it’s hipster WalMart or something.

me plus molly October 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Ikea – I’ve been to several in the UK and always leave inspired. A mix of pieces from there and charity shop finds done up, work for me! I love an eclectic mix in a home. And although I’ve not tried much of the food, everyone seems to love their swedish meatballs!

mariah October 10, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Woo-hoo! How exciting! Our closest IKEA is 3 hours away :( Found you via BYWBootcamp

handmade by amalia October 10, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I remember my first IKEA visit, I had to have everything! Now I agree that a few of their items mixed with vintage and personal pieces is the way to go. I think their best dept. is the organization, they have some nice ideas. The food I never tried.
Amalia, a fellow BYW

Heather B October 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I am SO envious. The closest one to me is three hours away. We will never get one in the middle ‘o Maine… maybe I should move…

Nina October 12, 2012 at 5:20 am

Yay for getting an IKEA! I absolutely love IKEA and have a hard time leaving the store empty handed. Before you get to the registers you pass all sorts of knick knacks and usually I can’t resist the candles ;)

Christina @ Homemade Ocean October 12, 2012 at 8:40 am

I have such mixed emotions on this….I am so excited to have an Ikea a little closer. But I am SO UPSET it’s not in St. Louie :) I guess I’ll just have to rent a Uhaul now for my KC trips!!!!

Lauren October 12, 2012 at 11:36 am

I am beyond envious of you. Like Heather B, our closest one is 2.5-3 hours away. Just a smidge too far. (Pouting now). When Neel was in graduate school in central PA, we lived about 2 hours from one (more manageable), and anytime one of us would go down, we’d ask around, “Need anything?” Inevitably, candles. You are going to have so much fun, and the best part will be going off peak hours!

jonnie sack October 13, 2012 at 8:26 am

I’ve always wanted to go to one! The closest is in Chicago (10 hr drive) followed by Dallas (12 hrs), it sucks to be smack dab in the middle! Wish they’d get one in Denver. You’re sooo lucky :)

Amy Ehmann October 24, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hi Heather – Absolutely LOVE Ikea! I used to live in the DC metro area, where we had 3 Ikeas within driving distance. When we moved to Denver last year they were still building the Ikea. It was then that I gain a new appreciate for a local Ikea. We now living in uber suburbia outside Denver and loving it. I’ve never been a city girl myself. I look forward to following your progress and hopefully will make some of my own in transforming vanilla builder grade to something that is our own. =)

Dawn Pasco October 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hi Heather, I’m a fellow BYW Boot Camp student and also live in a suburb of the Kansas City area. I’m also excited for IKEA to open in our area. I’ve been to the store in other cities and they have great cinnamon rolls which is something you wouldn’t normally associate with IKEA. I hope you are enjoying the class. I’m learning a lot and it’s great to find someone else in my area.