Et Tu, Target?

October 14, 2012

A few weeks ago, we discussed my theory that Pottery Barn Kids found their Halloween costume ideas by perusing Pinterest.

This week, more than a few people have noticed the similarity between some independent artists’ work and items carried at our beloved Target.

{cue dramatic music}

First up is the “Hello” Tray from Target’s Timeless home decor collection, which bears a striking resemblance to Rifle Paper Co.’s ‘Hello’ Conversation Card. As Rifle Paper Co. creator Anna Bond noted on Twitter four days ago, “I keep getting asked if we made this @target tray.. no, we did not :(

And six days ago, Joy Cho of Oh Joy! tweeted a similar sentiment regarding her popular Petal Pusher design, which is used in her wallpaper line at Hygge & West and children’s clothing line at Winter Water Factory.

“Wow. You gotta love running into a copycat of your own pattern on a product at Target.”

The hoodie is made by Geniune Kids from OshKosh, which is sold exclusively at Target. And while I don’t personally feel the similarity is as strong as in Rifle Paper Co.’s case, I definitely see it in the particular hoodie Joy tweeted:

So, what’s the deal, Target?

Large companies have surely been doing this type of thing for years, with few repercussions. And while it may be tough to fight in court, at least with the Internet and blogging, we can all come together and bring instances to people’s attention.

So while I’m sure I’ll continue to shop there, I won’t be purchasing either of these items, and will be on the lookout for future transgressions.

Target, you are on watch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

christine | The Plumed Nest October 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm

ooooo, that burns me up! i sell on etsy and i am always petrified of someday seeing my work mass produced. luckily i am ready to move in a new direction before that happens because i started selling “state” products before they were everywhere. . . now they are everywhere and i figure that means it time to change. but totally different when it’s indie crafters jumping on a bandwagon to make a living than large corporations stealing from artists who can’t compete with their production or prices. i love target too, this makes me sad :( glad you had a great weekend xo

Nina October 15, 2012 at 5:42 am

Oh wow target’s designers have been more than inspired by the originals, they just flat copied them…Not good…

Lauren October 15, 2012 at 6:31 am

Dang. Big old thumbs down to Target on this one. Nina’s right, flat out copies.

dustin October 15, 2012 at 7:03 am

boo on target. I think the 2nd one isn’t that close….but could just be justifying…because we have that exact hoodie.

Heather October 15, 2012 at 7:50 am

Ha! It is a cute hoodie!

Christina @ Homemade Ocean October 15, 2012 at 9:16 am

Wowza….that really stinks!

Heather B October 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Well, boo to Target! How hard would it be to ask the designers if they could license their designs?

homestilo October 16, 2012 at 6:29 am

Oh Target, say it ain’t so!

leah October 17, 2012 at 2:06 am

Shame on Target. Looks like copies to me! xx

jonnie sack October 18, 2012 at 10:00 am

I noticed that a few weeks ago at Target (the hello bubble), and I knew I’d seen it on etsy, I just wasn’t sure where. Booo! At least ask permission and be willing to pay for rights. I often think the companies are aware we’re small sellers and don’t have a “corporate lawyer department.” :) Thanks for the post!

Becca @ The Dabblist October 28, 2012 at 12:20 pm

What IS the deal? That’s horrible! I noticed Target was getting cuter stuff, which made me so excited, but I don’t want it to take away from the independent artists who made it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
~ Becca from BYW